Canon VIXIA HG20 Camcorder
Continuing Canon’s industry-leading reputation for technology and product quality, Canon’s latest high definition camcorders deliver the optical excellence, advanced image processing and superb performance found in our photographic and broadcast television lenses. With our Canon Exclusives, we bring more advanced features to our camcorders, enabling you to more easily take your video to a higher level than ever possible before.
Among our latest products is the Canon VIXIA HG20 Hard Disk Drive Camcorder. It combines the ease of recording video directly onto an internal Hard Disk Drive with the advanced AVCHD (Advanced Video Codec High Definition) format. Its 60GB Hard Disk Drive allows you to record up to 22 hours and 55 minutes of crisp, high definition video (LP Mode). It also is a dual system camcorder, with the capability of also recording video and still images to an SDHC card as well.
The VIXIA HG20 boasts 1920 x 1080 Full HD, and has a CODEC capable of recording 24Mbps — the highest AVCHD bitrate –through Canon’s own Full HD CMOS Image Sensor and advanced DIGIC DV II image processor. Other exclusives are a new Genuine Canon 12x HD video lens, SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization and Instant AutoFocus and a host of other advanced features including an HDMI™ Connector. Enhanced and simplified controls give you more choices and easier operation. Remarkable image reproduction and advanced features are yours in this compact AVCHD Format Hard Disk Drive camcorder which easily goes along with you, wherever you are, to capture those unforgettable moments in life- in true HD.
Video of Canon VIXIA HG20 Camcorder Features Review
Main Features of Canon VIXIA HG20 Camcorder
- 60GB Hard Disk Drive—The VIXIA HG20 captures 1920 x 1080 high definition resolution video directly to a large capacity 60GB Hard Disk Drive. Hard Disk Drive recording is an especially convenient format if you plan to transfer your video to a computer for viewing, editing or sharing.
- Record HD Video Directly to SDHC Memory Cards—The VIXIA HG20 is equipped to allow you to capture video to both the camcorder’s internal 60GB Hard Disk Drive as well as directly to an SDHC memory card.
- Genuine Canon 12x HD Video Lens—The VIXIA HG20 comes with an outstanding high definition video lens – a Genuine Canon 12x HD zoom lens. It’s the tool you need to record long shots of your child on the soccer field, wide shots of beautiful landscapes, and everything in-between. And because it comes with three pre-set zoom speeds, you always get smooth, steady, professional-looking zoom shots.
- Canon Exclusive: 3.3 Megapixel HD CMOS Image Sensor—The VIXIA HG20 captures 1920 x 1080 high definition video through its Canon designed and manufactured 1/3.2-inch 3.31 megapixel CMOS image sensor, similar to the CMOS image sensors in Canon’s EOS Series Digital SLR cameras. The VIXIA HG20′s CMOS image sensor provides high color resolution and advanced color reproduction for brilliant results. It is also unique in featuring Canon’s proprietary noise reduction technologies for crisp, sharp images. Low noise technology also means that even in dimly lit scenes, the signal from each pixel is as pure as possible, with minimal noise or other aberrations. It’s the ideal sensor for HD.
- Canon Exclusive: DIGIC DV II Image Processor—The DIGIC DV II Image Processor is just another one of Canon’s advanced technologies that make the VIXIA HG20 an exceptional performer. Thanks to DIGIC DV II image processing, the VIXIA HG20 produces video with improved color reproduction – especially in skin tones, and dark and light scenes. It also uses a hybrid noise reduction system that employs two types of noise reduction – for high definition images with crystal clear audio.
- 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording—The VIXIA HG20 delivers 1920 x 1080 Full HD, from capture to recording to playback, thanks to Canon’s own 3.3 Megapixel HD CMOS Image Sensor, combined with the Genuine Canon 12x HD video lens and DIGIC DV II Image Processor. They ensure that the VIXIA HG20 will not only capture video in Full HD, it will record Full HD. It delivers the superb, high quality high definition video with vibrant color, crisp contrast and great detail- what you expect from Canon HD. You can also burn your HD video onto DVDs which play in AVCHD compatible Blu-ray disc players for the full home theater experience.
- Canon Exclusive: SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization—The high-resolution images of high definition video demand a steady hand. It’s easier to get those clear, steady images with the VIXIA HG20, thanks to Canon’s innovative SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization. It combines gyro and image sensors to give image stabilization through a wider range of camera motions. Some image stabilization systems correct one type of camera motion or vibration better than another. But Canon’s SuperRange OIS corrects for a wide range of camcorder motion: the fast vibration you’d experience while recording from a moving car; the medium-speed motion of handheld recording; and the slower motion of body sway. No matter what you’re recording and how you’re recording it, the VIXIA HG20′s stabilization design corrects camcorder shake instantly. SuperRange OIS also delivers steady images when shooting at long focal lengths.
- Canon Exclusive: Instant AF—Another critical objective when shooting in high definition is achieving a very sharp focus. The VIXIA HG20 camcorder features Canon’s revolutionary Instant AF auto focusing system which offers a dramatic improvement in auto focus speed and accuracy (compared to traditional auto focus systems). The Instant AF feature uses an external sensor, in combination with Canon’s auto focus system, to help significantly decrease the time it takes to find focus, even in low light conditions. This system achieves focus instantaneously, reducing focus “hunting.” The benefits of Instant AF are especially seen in high brightness and night shooting situations. With Instant AF, it’s possible to capture fast, accurate focusing, even when following a moving subject.
- 24Mbps Recording—The 24Mbps recording capability of the VIXIA HG20 gives you the highest AVCHD quality video possible. You’ll see enhanced detail, finer gradations of tones and improved reproduction of moving subjects. Video shot by the VIXIA HG20 of fast-moving sporting events, multi-color butterflies on a variegated leaf or the shading of a brilliant sunset will be remarkable.
- 24p Cinema Mode—The VIXIA HG20 offers you more choices than ever before in selectable frame rates. You can choose between 60i, 30p and 24p to achieve just the look you want.
- 30p Progressive Mode—This is a unique feature that only Canon offers in the consumer camcorder market*. You would otherwise have to look to professional video cameras in order to have this sophisticated tool at your command. In addition to the standard interlaced video frame rate of 60i, you may choose to set the VIXIA HG20 to capture video in 30p (30 progressive frames, recorded at 60i) which is particularly useful for footage to be used on the Internet. In addition, this setting gives enhanced quality to still images captured after recording. It’s also excellent for action shots and sports.
- Joystick Control—The joystick makes using the VIXIA HG20 camcorder easier than ever. Extra buttons have been eliminated, allowing you to access many functions from one convenient place. The joystick lets you control play, stop, fast forward and rewind functions during playback. Conveniently placed on the LCD panel area, it also controls exposure lock and exposure compensation during recording.
- Variable Zoom Speed Lever—Another sure sign of amateur video is the unsteady zoom shot. But with the VIXIA HG20′s zoom control lever, you can select one of three pre-set zoom speeds for smooth, steady, professional looking zooms. In addition, the zoom lever gives far greater control over your zoom than is possible with a traditional rocker switch.
- Focus Assist Function—The image quality of high definition demands a properly focused subject. The Focus Assist feature on the VIXIA HG20 gives you sharp focus by zooming into your image to let you focus on a close up of your subject. It’s the way professional videographers and photographers work manually. A Peaking function also helps, by emphasizing image contours. You can also use the Enlargement function to see your subject more clearly while composing your shot.
- Level and Grid Markers—With the Level Marker feature, it’s easy to keep your camera level for more professional looking video. Line up any horizontal lines in your shot – such as the horizon – to the marker and you can be sure your camcorder is level.
- Quick Start—Never miss a quickly unfolding shot again. Push the Quick Start button between shots – it places the VIXIA HG20 in standby mode. When the action starts, push the Quick Start button again to begin recording in less than one second. You’ll also help extend your battery life compared with leaving the camcorder in regular recording mode.
- Low Light Performance—By increasing the sensitivity of the VIXIA HG20′s HD CMOS image sensor and using improved fixed-pattern “noise” reduction technology, you can now shoot clearer, sharper video at very low light levels. When taken with a 1/30 sec. slow shutter, subjects can be shot at light levels as low as just 3 Lux. You won’t be afraid to shoot indoors or in poorly lit outdoor locations again.
- Program AE Mode—For the best exposure for various situations, the VIXIA HG20′s Program AE mode will automatically adjust the settings to compensate for the conditions and subject. Choose from Portrait, Sports, Night, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Spotlight and Fireworks. You won’t have to guess if you’re capturing all the action just the way you want it because the VIXIA HG20 will do it for you.
- Built-in Electronic Lens Cover—The built-in electronic lens cover on the VIXIA HG20 automatically opens when you turn the camcorder on and closes when you turn it off.
- Long Recording Time—You can truly take advantage of the long recording times offered by HDD video thanks to the performance of the VIXIA HG20.
- AVCHD HDD in a Compact Size—The VIXIA HG20 is a compact AVCHD format HDD camcorder, measuring only 3.1″ wide, 3″ high and 5.5″ deep.
- Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe—Shoot video like the professionals do, with the accessories that give you the best in audio and lighting. The VIXIA HG20′s Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe provides the power for Canon optional accessories, such as the VL-5 accessory video light, or DM-100 directional stereo microphone- the things you need to bring your video to the next level.
- Intelligent Lithium-ion Battery—The Intelligent Lithium-ion battery which powers the VIXIA HG20 is a major advance. It not only more accurately tracks remaining battery life, it also gives a display in minutes remaining. It will allow you to better plan your shooting, so you won’t be caught out with a battery that suddenly goes from “half” to “empty.” It is especially useful thanks to the long recording time capability of the VIXIA HG20- you’ll be able to take full advantage of it and not miss any of the action you want to capture.
- 3.1 Megapixel Photos—The same Canon CMOS image sensor that ensures sharp, vivid HD video also gives you brilliant digital photographs. Like the CMOS image sensors in Canon’s EOS Series digital SLR cameras, the VIXIA HG20′s image sensor results in outstanding digital photographs. It gives an impressive resolution of 1920 x 1440 for sharp, crisp still images.
- HDD Still Photo Grab from Video—Another Canon exclusive feature on the VIXIA HG20 is the capability to capture still frame images from video recorded onto the hard disk drive. None of Canon’s competitors allow you to review your already shot footage to select just the right still to save and share.* It’s just one more way the VIXIA HG20 gives you more flexibility to meet your creative desires.
- DIGIC DV II Image Processor—DIGIC DV II features improved continuous shooting of digital photographs with the VIXIA HG20. You can shoot five (3.1 megapixel) still images per second, and enjoy faster processing of your images to your memory card (1.4x normal card; 2.5x Hi Speed card).
- Focus Features—Auto Intelligent Auto Focus (AiAF) ensures sharp images and gives creative flexibility. Even when your subject isn’t in the center of the frame, the VIXIA HG20′s 9-Point AiAF will automatically select from nine metering frames on the screen to help bring images into sharp focus.
- Instant AF—Since it is critical to achieve very sharp focus when shooting in high definition, the VIXIA HG20 camcorder features Canon’s revolutionary and exclusive Instant AF focusing system. It offers a dramatic improvement in auto focus speed and accuracy (compared to traditional auto focus systems). The Instant AF feature uses an external sensor, in combination with Canon’s auto focus system, to help significantly decrease the time it takes to find focus, even in low light conditions. This new system achieves focus instantaneously, reducing focus “hunting.” The benefits of Instant AF are especially seen in high brightness and night shooting situations. It’s even possible to capture fast, accurate focusing, even when following a moving subject.
- Auto Exposure Modes—Like any good digital still camera, the VIXIA HG20 lets you choose from a range of exposure modes. Auto mode automatically sets the exposure, letting you concentrate on your subject. AV (aperture priority) mode lets you control depth of field by letting you choose the aperture. TV (shutter priority) mode lets you select the shutter speed for sharp, action shots. In P (program) mode, the camcorder adjusts camera settings automatically.
- Program AE Mode—Your life happens everywhere, so the VIXIA HG20 gives you settings that automatically result in the best exposure settings for different conditions and different subjects.
- Simultaneous Photo Recording—With the VIXIA HG20, you can record HD video and capture a 2 Megapixel photo to a memory card – simultaneously. Simply press the photo button and you’ve got an email-ready digital photo to share with friends and family.
- Histogram Display—For the advanced digital photographer, the VIXIA HG20 comes with a Histogram Display – a feature found in Canon’s line of digital SLR cameras. The display allows you to see the brightness information of your still images, so you can adjust your exposures as you shoot.
- Level and Grid Markers—The VIXIA HG20′s Grid Marker feature lets you compose your shot accurately, according to the grid in your viewfinder. You can even choose from two different colors for the grid. This ensures that you see the grid, no matter what the background color of your shot is.
- Built-in Flash—Your VIXIA HG20′s built-in flash lets you capture superb photos indoors and in low light conditions.
- Share Your Photos—Print/Share turns your VIXIA HG20 into a photo lab in the palm of your hand. Simply connect your camcorder directly to select Canon printers or any PictBridge-compatible printer with the supplied USB cable, then, with a simple touch of the Print/Share button, print directly from your VIXIA HG20 without going through a computer.
- HDMI Terminal—With the VIXIA HG20′s built-in HDMI? (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) terminal, it’s a simple task to transfer the HD video signal to your HDTV. With a single cable, you’ll send a pure digital signal, audio and video, to your television to get the ultimate HD viewing experience. And with Hard Disk Drive recording you get true random-access play, letting you access the scene you want to see instantly.
- Microphone Terminal with Manual Audio Level Control—The VIXIA HG20 allows you to enhance the quality of your audio by using the optional accessory Canon DM-100 Directional Stereo Microphone to capture better sound and headphones to monitor the audio as you hear it. Manual control of audio levels also lets you set the exact balance you need for the situation. Your videos will sound as good as they look.
- Includes Pixela ImageMixer 3SE Video Editing Software—The Canon VIXIA HG20 High Definition Camcorder is bundled with a powerful software suite from Pixela?. ImageMixer 3SE lets you play back your recorded video on your computer. You can also easily perform AVCHD editing in which you can trim, reorder, and combine scenes, as well as add music, titles, and transitions. With the Pixela ImageMixer 3SE Software, you can burn an AVCHD* DVD** or standard definition DVD to relive the memories on your TV.
What’s in the Box
1.Canon VIXIA HG20 Hard Disk Drive Camcorder
2.Battery Pack BP-807 (w/ terminal cover)
3.Compact Power Adapter CA-570 (w/ cable)
4.Wireless Controller WL-D88
5.USB Cable IFC-400PCU
6.Component Cable CTC-100/S
7.Stereo Video Cable STV-250N
8.Digital Video Solution Disc for Windows and Macintosh
9.Pixela ImageMixer 3SE (Video Editing Software)
If you want to buy Canon VIXIA HG20 Camcorder, read more Canon VIXIA HG20 Camcorder reviews for consideration!